Over 30 million Americans experience back pain and while about 60 percent of them use prescription medication to ease the pain, others rely on non-medicinal pain relief remedies, including pain patches. However, there are so many pain patches in the market today that it can be hard to choose the right one for your needs. The following is a discussion about pain patches and the top 5 in the market.
How Do Pain Patches Work for Back Pain?
Pain patches typically contain menthol, lidocaine, methyl salicylate, camphor, and capsaicin. The patches containing menthol produce a cooling sensation while the ones that contain capsaicin or methyl salicylate produce more of a heated effect.
The ingredients work by causing an inflammatory response to the area where they are applied topically. This results in stimulation of the nerves in the area, which produces a milder sensation and basically distracts the brain from the previous pain sensations.
Here Are the Top 5 Pain Relief Patches for Back Pain
- Salonpas Pain Relieving Patches
Salonpas is the best patch for back pain if you suffer from cervical, spinal, joint, knee, or arthritis pain. The patches help in the treatment of lower back pain, backache, muscle pain, chronic lower back pain, sciatica, and more. The patches are rated very highly and people that have tried them often recommend them.
– Works for up to 8 hours at a time
– Works well for people suffering from myofascial pain syndrome and fibromyalgia with mild to moderate pain
– Soothe pain with camphor, menthol, and methyl salicylate
– The large patches cover large areas of skin
– Might be ineffective for severe and chronic pain
– Removing them when dry can be a painful experience because the adhesive is quite strong
– Can be hard to remove and should ideally be removed when wet
- RelieveIt Pain Relieving Gel Patch
The gel patches by RelieveIt are quick acting and contain a variety of natural ingredients. Arnica montana also known as wolf’s bane is the active ingredient. Arnica montana is a homeopathic topical treatment for joint pain, inflammation, bruises, sprains, and muscle aches. According to a survey involving pain patients, 85 percent of the respondents were satisfied with the relief that the patches provide.
– Easy to wrap around an arm or leg or even placing on the back
– Relief lasts for up to 24 hours, which is significantly higher than other products
– Arnica montane doesn’t lead to any chemical dependence for the alleviation of pain
– The patches have a very mild scent, which isn’t unpleasant as that of other patches
– The adhesive on the patches is not too strong
– The patches may not be as effective as actual arnica gel
– Users have reported feeling nauseated or dizzy after applying the patches
- Absorbine Ultra Strength Pain Relief Patch
It is a fast-acting patch that penetrates deep to treat mild to moderate amounts of pain due to bruises, arthritis, backaches, sprains, and strains. Inside the packaging are 6 large patches included in one box. The patches contain 6.5 percent menthol.
– Produce a cool, relaxing sensation
– Work well for shoulder or arm pain
– The medication is contained inside the patch and doesn’t cause staining on clothing
– The patches last longer than other brands on the market and actually last the full 8 hours specified on the packaging
– Cost slightly more than those of other brands
– Are designed for short-term use only
– Users have reported not liking how they smell
- Icy Hot Medicated Patch
The Icy Hot Medicated Patches are incredibly popular. The patches are great for people that wish to exercise with the patches on. Just apply the patch to your target area 15 minutes before you start your workout. The patches are medicated and contain 5 percent menthol and cover a large section of skin.
– Work on all area where there’s pain from old injuries
– Can be easily applied to shoulders
– Work well for people that sit for long hours
– Help alleviate pain from pulled muscles
– The adhesive on the patches is strong and they don’t curl up around the edges as is the case with patches from other brands
– The patches might feel too sticky for some people
– Might not work for people with chronic hip pain
– Might be ineffective for people suffering from severe sciatica
- Tiger Balm Pain Relieving Patch
Tiger Brand is a brand that traces its origins over 1 century ago back in the 1870s when a Chinese herbalist established his small medicine shop. Today, the brand has patches that target joint, muscle, and lower back pain. The patches include capsicum extract, camphor, and menthol
– Patches are easy to use
– Patches are easy and painless to remove despite having a strong adhesive
– Patches don’t feel greasy or stain clothing
– Patches are ventilated and contour to the body
- Patches cost more than other products on the market
– Might be awkward to use on some areas of the body, such as the knees and hips
Warning: It is important to note that while all the 5 pain relief patches offer temporary pain relief, they won’t cure your back pain and should safely used together with doctor-prescribed treatment methods.
The Bottom Line
A great pain relief patch can make a massive difference if you suffer from back pain, even though the relief is somewhat temporary. It is always advisable to consult your doctor if the pain gets worse over time or if you suffer from any negative side effects although they are considered generally safe for use by most adults.
If you want to experience relief for your back pain, you should try out http://luminas.com | pain-patch as discussed here. It will be the best thing that you ever do and you will definitely experience pain relief albeit temporary.